Beef stir fry with ginger and scallion is one of the Chinese dishes I am fond of since young. The sliced beef is succulent, tender and fragrant and full of ginger and scallion flavor.
It is easy easy to prepare, which takes you less than ten minutes to stir fry. It is so good that it can make your eyes roll back in your head with pleasure.
It is important important to have your mise en place ready, in order to keep things flowing at stir-fry time. Once you add the stir fry sauce into the wok where the beef is sheering and hissing, the aroma of the ginger will permeate the whole kitchen.
One of the keys to cook top-notch beef stir fry with ginger and scallion is to have a wok burner that can generate intense heat. Sure it is not easy to reproduce the dramatic inferno of restaurant burners at home — but make sure to crank the heat all the way up to the hottest you can, especially at the end of the stir frying process.
As usual, it is interesting to improvise exiting recipe to create a new flavor. Ginger and spring onion is very versatile and can work in conjunction with other flavors. This beef stir fry with ginger and scallion recipe is added with lemongrass, which is widely used for Thai, Malay and Indonesian dishes. This unconventional tweak to the authentic Chinese recipe is assimilated with the local flavor.
Here is the beef stir fry with ginger recipe:
- 750 g beef
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 70 g young ginger
- 3 stalks lemongrass
- 10 stalks spring onion
- 3 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 7 g salt
- ½ tsp white pepper
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 4 tbsp water
- Cut the beef into thin slices, against the grain.
- sliced beef for stir frying
- Marinate the beef with soy sauce, sesame oil and cornstarch, for 15 minutes or more.
- Slice the young ginger thinly.
- Cut the spring onion into strips of about four cm length.
- Remove the outer layer of the lemongrass. Slice the lemongrass as thin as you can. Use only the bulb section of the lemongrass, which is light green to white.
- Prepare the stir-fry sauce by combining all the ingredients in the 'stir fry sauce' section of the ingredient.
- Mix one part of cornstarch with three parts of cold water to form the cornstarch slurry.
- Heat up the vegetable oil in a wok.
- Saute the slices of ginger and lemongrass in the oil until they turn fragrant. (about 1 min)
- Add the sliced beef to the ginger and lemongrass. Turn up the heat and stir and flip the beef quickly to avoid sticking on the surface of the wok.
- When the beef is just cooked, i.e. the color changed from pinkish to brown, add the spring onion and stir fry quick. Turn to high heat at this stage. (about ½ min)
- Change to low heat, push the beef to the side of the wok. Pour the cornstarch slurry to the bottom of the wok. Keep stirring the cornstarch slurry with the wok shovel until it turns translucent.
- Push the beef back to the center of the wok. Combined the beef with the cornstarch slurry and dish out.
I include a note section in most of my recipes to explain in more details on anything that is not included in the preparation method. However, this seems unnecessary for this beef recipe because I have another post about beef stir fry that has covered all aspects about stir-fry in great details.
Click here to access my post
(It will open in another tab)